Presentation Question

Subject: Presentation Question
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 04:38:00 UTC

In a presentation, I prefer to have only the key points with some great
graphics to illustrate it, or a quiet background (but good color) if it's
just words. The point size should be large. I prefer left justified text
indented so that it appears centered on the foil.

I once had the pleasure of arguing with two subcontractors who were
receiving help from me preparing presentations to be presented to my
company. The occasion was a discussion of the results from Phase 1 and the
application of the subcontractors to do Phase 2. The presentation counted
for a lot.

In spite of the fact that my services were offered without charge, one
subcontractor chose to ignore my advice that his foils were too wordy and
too numerous. The other just kept saying OK.

I attended the presentations. People got up and walked out on the wordy
subcontractor. The other subcontractor got the follow-on work. So far as I
could tell, the subcontractor who lost the contract had done fine work -
except when it came to the presentation.

Give it your best shot and see what works. If you can, attend the
presentation, observe the audience, read the foils from the back of the
room, notice how they are used by the presenter. It's as good as a college
course <grin>.

-Marilynne