The Never Ending Debate

Subject: The Never Ending Debate
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 10:53:20 EDT

I was personally offended by Jim Grey's comment saying that Beth was
"right"--a degree is more worthwhile than having no degree. Some of the most
successful people I know in this field--and some of the best writers I
know--do not have one.

But many people interviewing for jobs in this field are not exactly sure
about qualifications so they list a college degree. It's easy, it's tangible,
and most people have them. But for certain jobs in our field, it is not even
necessary. For other jobs in the field, the thinking processes that are
developed through a formal education can be beneficial, but these can
also be developed without formal guidance.

The point is a moot one, however. 90 percent of the people in this field
have degrees. Hiring studies show that people tend to hire people like
themselves. Because most of the people doing the hiring have a degree,
they're most likely to hire people with degrees.
"
Saul Carliner
Information Architect
mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945