Re: Frequency of flame wars

Subject: Re: Frequency of flame wars
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 15:27:00 PDT

--Boundary (ID A6V/GPz8aHlT98O+t/T7iw) writes:

I have to second what Caryn Rizell wrote about the frequency of
flame wars (which she courageously called rudeness) on this
list. I subscribe to another active list for professional
writers, a list fraught with the usual disagreements and
divergence of opinion, and that list does not appear to me to
generate a fraction of the hostility that erupts here.

Bright people are impassioned, but must we be nasty to those
with whom we disagree? :-)

==================================
Yesterday evening on Nat'l Public Radio, I heard part of a show on computers
& internet email, etc. The "expert" said some groups are more prone to
flaming than others, and cited _writer_ groups as being _less_ prone to
flaming because of their supposed sensitivity to having their work
criticized, or something equally stereotypical! Maybe he was referring to
structured workshops, like one I've seen on America Online. Surely he's
never seen the Tech Warriors go at it! [Yeah, let's flame HIM! ;) ]

IMHO, good writers can separate themselves from their writing & are probably
_more_ prone to debate passionately (and maybe to later concede the point
while retaining dignity???).

Long live discourse! :-<>

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA