Re: How many steps?

Subject: Re: How many steps?
From: Michael Cooperman <michael_cooperman -at- MATHWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 14:15:39 -0500

Subject: Reply Form Time:2:10 PM
RE>>How many steps? Date:6/10/94
I sent this note earlier but it looked as though it didn't get out. Forgive
me if you're forced to open it a second time.

Regarding documenting long, complicated installation procedures: One
alternative is to suggest to your development staff that they write scripts
or programs that combine steps and remove predictable tasks from the user
part of the installation. I've worked in places where they did this - they
provided scripts that created directories, copied files off the install tape,
and did lots of the work they knew the users would have to do. Then, the job
of documenting the procedure was much simpler. I'm also sure the users
appreciated not having to go through endless steps, most of which the
developers already knew.

I suppose this might fall under the general principle that if a procedure or
task is difficult to document, then it's overly complicated.

Good luck.
michael cooperman
mcooperman -at- mathworks -dot- com