Re: XV is NOT shareware if...

Subject: Re: XV is NOT shareware if...
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 09:37:31 CDT

Dave Taylor says:
|} > From John Bradley's License info:
|} >
|} > XV is shareware for PERSONAL USE only...
|} >
|} > Commercial, government, and institutional users MUST register
|} > their copies of XV...
|}
|} Sorry, Steve, but I believe LaVonna is correct and John's use of "shareware"
|} is misleading.

Sorry Dave, but you're wrong too. XV is shareware for PERSONAL use. As soon
as you use it professionally (such as using it to capture screens for your
manuals) it becomes COMMERCIAL software. You MUST register it, failure to do
so is a violation of copyright law.

You might not care about this distinction, but your lawyers do, I guarantee
it. I brought it up as an FYI for the folks on the list, so they would not
be breaking the law out of ignorance of it. I urge any of you that wish
to discuss the topic further to contact me off line...

John's shareware message:

XV is shareware for PERSONAL USE only. You may use XV for your own
amusement, and if you find it nifty, useful, generally cool, or of
some value to you, your non-deductable donation would be greatly
appreciated. $25 is the suggested donation, though, of course,
larger donations are quite welcome. Folks who donate $25 or more
can receive a Real Nice bound copy of the XV manual for no extra
charge. BE SURE TO SPECIFY THE VERSION OF XV THAT YOU ARE USING!

Commercial, government, and institutional users MUST register their
copies of XV, for the exceedingly reasonable price of just $25 per
workstation/X terminal. Site licenses are available for those who
wish to run XV on a large number of machines. Contact the author
for more details.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem