Re: Standards

Subject: Re: Standards
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 12:48:29 EDT

stuff deleted for brevity

Seems to me we could come up with an authoritative source that says it's OK
to put the comma or period outside of the quotes if there's a chance for
confusion; that gives abbreviations in something other than all caps for
items like milliamps and alternating current; that resolves the
Danger/Caution/Warning dispute between military, ANSI, and a host of
conflicting industry standards; that gives advice on how and when to use
punctuation in a bulleted list; and that gives guidelines on how much
information should be in each step of an enumerated list and how it should be
formatted.

For starters, we could start with the questions asked on this list. Maybe
make it a session at the next STC conference. (The next big question is WHO
gets this lovely task.)

Anyway, there's my two cents. Take it and buy, uh, well, uh, not much, I
guess.

Barb

----- End Included Message -----

Well, I just discovered this list, and missed most of the discussion
regarding standards. However, I am on the STC-IEEE Standards Committee
which is just beginning, and would like to have your help in setting
the standards.

Since I missed most of the discussion, could you please send me a list of
the questions and issues you feel need to be addressed. I will
compile them and present them at our meeting.

If you would like to be involved in setting the standards, feel free to
contact your local STC branch and get involved.

Being involved in the process is the only way to make this happen.

liz