Re: Okay, whaddaya call

Subject: Re: Okay, whaddaya call
From: Matt Abe <MATTA -at- LEONARDO -dot- LMT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 07:46:48 CST6CDT

Sharon Eaton <sl_eaton -at- PNL -dot- GOV> writes:

> Okay, whaddaya call...
> a computer that runs DOS and/or Windows? "IBM/compatible
> computer" can become awfully cumbersome -- plus, so many *aren't*
> IBMs anymore; "personal computer," to me, also means Macintoshes;
> "DOS-based" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Our group of writers has standardized on "PC compatible," followed
by system requirements such as "80386 or higher processor, 4
megabytes of RAM," etc. To me, stating "PC compatible" implies a
computer that can run DOS and/or MS-Windows, and a Mac may be a
personal computer, but it definitely ain't a PC (ask any Mac person)!

In the olden days, we wrote "IBM Personal Computer, PC/AT, PS/2, or
100% compatible computer." But that was then...

"DOS-based" leaves a bad taste in my mouth, too, but it's the OS we
love to hate! :-)

--Matt Abe

Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- com
Documentation Group Leader (This is a new Internet address)
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344