Re: Flame me, I'm Italian

Subject: Re: Flame me, I'm Italian
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 13:19:45 EDT

Glen offers the following:

- A requires module B in C mode.
- D provides the input for E.
- etc.
*************************

My experience writing for both audiences is: if they are developers, keep
it as succinct as possible. They just see the "instructional" stuff as
patronizing word-padding that gets in the way of their ability to use the
stuff as a reference to code or develop applications, etc.

It's not just estoeric-snobbism. It really is easier for them not to be
encumbered by what they already know.

"D provides the input for E" can actually be trimmed even further, for these
users, like:

E Heading...(whatever E is)

[Subheading]INPUTS: D

OUTPUTS:

RETURNS:

etc.

This is a format widely used for programming languages, so if that's what they
know, and like, why not give it to them?

IMHO

Gwen