Re[2]: re "appears" at work

Subject: Re[2]: re "appears" at work
From: Virginia Krenn <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 16:06:56 CDT

When I was editing documentation written by other programmers, I
always changed "wish" or "desire" to "want". It seems much more
realistic to me.

I want the file to be open. (So, I will open it.)

I desire the file to be open. (So, maybe somone will open it for
me.)

I wish the file to be open. (So, I'll wait for something magical
to happen.)

These are not intended to be examples of actual events. They are only
used to convey my feelings about these three verbs.

Subject: Re: re "appears" at work
Author: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com> at SMTP
Date: 7/15/94 1:53 PM

Finally, anyone have any opinion on "want" vs "wish"? I just re-read my posting
before SENDING (looking for sp's, typos and....Netiquette faux pas...) and
noticed that Chuck says "want", I say "wish". I spent the last two weeks
editing developers' functional specifications, and changed all the "wants" to
"wishes". Now I wonder why.

Gwen (To "want" is too assertive, I can only "wish"?) Gall
(ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)