WANT V. WISH

Subject: WANT V. WISH
From: Bill Jenkins <bill -dot- jenkins -at- CHRYSALIS -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 1994 11:52:32 LCL

GL>In Websters, one entry under wish is "to want." Want has no similar entry.
>Both definitions have "to desire," but under wish, it adds "(as something
>unattainable)" which seems to indicate that I can want a raise but only
>wish to get a million dollar one.

A chess-playing friend of mine used to be known for going to tournaments
and beating much more highly-rated players. His explanation was always
the same: "The difference between us was that he wished to win the
game. I wanted to win it."

Since those days, I've always thought that "want" is "wish" with a drive
attatched to it.

bill -dot- jenkins -at- chrysalis -dot- org

"It is a civilization committed to the quest for continually improved
means to carelessly examined ends." Robert K. Merton