Re: Re[2]: Flames?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Flames?
From: Paul Fidler <paulf -at- CHURCHILL -dot- COLUMBIASC -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 18:02:23 EDT

> Paul Fidler said:
> > For those interested in this article, it may be worth noting that Janis
> > Cortese (the first "net regular" quoted) felt misquoted, or at least mis-
> > represented in the article.

> In the Newsweek article written by their staff writers or by Deborah
> Tannen? The main Newsweek article was pretty bad, so this wouldn't
> surpise me. But if it were Deborah Tannen who misquoted her, I'd be
> shocked.

You're right; it was not Tannen. I guess it was the 'main' article, by
Barbara Kantrowitz.

> As for feeling misrepresented, that's part of seeing your words in
> print.

In this specific case it was being portrayed as a meek, retreating female
in a tough, male-dominated newsgroup. Anyone who has seen Janis's posts
knows that this doesn't describe her style very well! (To say nothing of
the relative "toughness" of the trekkie newsgroup :)

-Paul Fidler