Re: Re[2]: Flames?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Flames?
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 15:24:27 -0700

Paul Fidler said:
> In this specific case it was being portrayed as a meek, retreating female
> in a tough, male-dominated newsgroup. Anyone who has seen Janis's posts
> knows that this doesn't describe her style very well! (To say nothing of
> the relative "toughness" of the trekkie newsgroup :)

When I worked as a college professor, I learned that you have to
be very careful what you say to a reporter. Most people simply
aren't, and they regret it. You have to not only say what you want
to say, but say what you mean. You have to think in sound-bites.

My gripe with this Newsweek article is that I felt the entire
description of the net was off--in just the way that your friend
felt misrepresented. It sounded to me like bits and pieces of quotes
were chosen to support some predetermined idea of what the Internet
is like. And this idea doesn't resemble my impression of the net I
have learned to know and love in the past 13 years.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com