FWD: Non-English phrases-

Subject: FWD: Non-English phrases-
From: "Bob Lord, DTN 522-6614," <lord -at- CXCAD -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 15:08:15 PDT

Subj: :-) Variations on familiar non-English phrases
Subj: New York magazine competition :-) [from the internet]

These are from the New York magazine competition where they asked competitors
to change ONE letter in a familiar non-English phrase and redefine it.

HARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?
EX POST FUCTO - Lost in the mail
IDIOS AMIGOS - We're wild and crazy guys!
VENI, VIPI, VICI - I came; I'm a very important person; I conquered
J'Y SUIS, J'Y PESTES - I can stay for the weekend
COGITO EGGO SUM - I think; therefore, I am a waffle
RIGOR MORRIS - The cat is dead
RESPONDEZ S'IL VOUS PLAID - Honk if you're Scots
QUE SERA SERF - Life is feudal
LE ROI EST MORT. JIVE LE ROI - The King is dead. No kidding.
POSH MORTEM - Death styles of the rich and famous
PRO BOZO PUBLICO - Support your local clown
MONAGE A TROIS - I am three years old
FELIX NAVIDAD - Our cat has a boat
HASTE CUISINE - Fast French food
VENI, VIDI, VICE - I came, I saw, I partied.
QUIP PRO QUO - A fast retort
ALOHA OY - Love; greetings; farewell; from such a pain you should
never know
MAZEL TON - Lots of luck
APRES MOE LE DELUGE - Larry and Curly get wet
PORTE-KOCHERE - Sacramental wine
ICH LIEBE RICH - I'm really crazy about having dough
FUI GENERIS - What's mine is mine
VISA LA FRANCE - Don't leave chateau without it
CA VA SANS DIRT - And that's not gossip
MERCI RIEN - Thanks for nothin'.
AMICUS PURIAE - Platonic friend
L'ETAT, C'EST MOO - I'm bossy around here
L'ETAT, C'EST MOE - All the world's a stooge

...and I can't resist adding a few of my own:

BOR APPETIT! - I'm so very tired of goat cheese!
ESPRIT DE CARPS - Enthusiasm for fishing
CA VA BEEN - It's history
LA BALLE EPOQUE - Era in which males still dominate but are not
so sure about it anymore
C'EST TAUT - I just came from the gym

----- End Included Message -----
% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======