Re: re. Report on how kids can't write well

Subject: Re: re. Report on how kids can't write well
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 09:33:51 -0700

Dear Arthur,
have you seen this "New Spelling" stuff? Kids are allowed to spell words
in any which way. Dey rite reel gud.

The problem is not the spelling, or sentence construction. The problem is
the ability to think in paragraphs and pages. If you talk with a German
student, he or she will discuss things with long point by point analysis,
terminating with conclusions. American kids only make one line responses
along the lines of "it made me feel good" or "i didn't like it."

Just ask any educated, young person from Northern Europe what they think
about the conversations skills of Americans.

yrs,
andreas
Andreas Ramos, M.A. Heidelberg Sacramento, California