Hi!...Need advice on howto get started...

Subject: Hi!...Need advice on howto get started...
From: Peggy Brown <OISPEGGY -at- UBVMS -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 12:28:29 -0400

Hi!

I just started reading TECHWR-L. I would like to get some
technical writing (for software) experience and any advice on howto
get started is welcome. (I also aspire to write quality fiction as well,
but that's another matter.)

I have a B.A. in English Literature and a M.S. in Information
Resources Management. The past 5 years I've been employed as a
database programmer. I use Oracle in a vax/vms environment -- moving
soon to Oracle on a sun/unix/windows platform. (Everyone seems to
be moving to client/server.) I work for a medical school and a
consortium of hospitals. I also have some academic and practical
experience in instructional design and I wrote a few "howto" manuals
back in graduate school.

My husband and I also have our own small consulting company, and I do
some database programming at home for our company. (I dial into the
clients' sites.) Since I'm accustomed to making time for extra projects,
I'm sure I could find the time to do some technical writing. I have
never missed a deadline.

I would especially like advice on:
1.) Howto find clients.
2.) Is there a good technical writing style manual?
3.) What word-processing, and other, software packages do technical
writers find valuable?

Thanks for your help.

- Peggy -