Re: Does Success Depend on Knowledge of What's Ahead?

Subject: Re: Does Success Depend on Knowledge of What's Ahead?
From: BROWN14 <brown14 -at- AA -dot- WL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:30:06 -0400

>Elizabeth Vollbach wrote,

>> Why does Shelley Larock believe that a student must be told what to
>> expect of the job market if that student is to be successful? No one
>> told me. To tell you the truth, Shelley, I think you'll find that
>> regardless of how much Michigan Tech tries to prepare you for the job
>> market, you won't know it until you're in it...I think the best advice
they can give you >> is, just grit your teeth and do it.

[LaRock writes]
>I agree that what a university career center tells me about the
>job market and what's really out there may be two different things.
>...I still believe colleges and universities should at least
>attempt to help students prepare for it...students will know that much more
>than they did before...The more a person knows about what to expect or what's
out there, >the more informed, and yes, perhaps successful, that person will be
in finding a job.

I agree. Although the job market and what the college/university career centers
teach you are very different, the information they provide can help a student
begin to plan. I think a well planned job search is often the most successful.

connie brown