Interleaf conversion from V

Subject: Interleaf conversion from V
From: Liz Babcock <liz_babcock -at- C28B5 -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 10:57:56 -0800

Mail*Link(r) SMTP Interleaf conversion from VAX to Mac

Readers of this list may recall that in early July Phyllis Dame of China Lake
(who is not on the Interleaf) asked me to post the following problem on

***********
We have numerous documents and/or drawings created on the VAX using
Interleaf. Our goal is to somehow convert these documents from the VAX to Mac
MSWord 5.1. . . . I'm confused...please, is there someone who has an answer
to this problem? When the files (document file) was accessed via the terminal
and saved in ASCII, the Interleaf formatting was not stripped, therefore the
file was garbage and could not be used. This applied to the drawing file as
well.

We have access to the VAX, the terminal, a Sun hardware system, Interleaf
software on the Mac, and the Mac itself. We do not have a filter (Blueberry
or other). . . . . Any suggestions? Thanks for listening.
***********

The following people promptly replied with a variety of useful suggestions,
which I won't go into unless someone insists:

Ray Bruman
Julie Lawyer
Fred Wersan
Bridget Brett
John Oriel
Arlen P. Walker
Pam Tatge
Ann Balaban

And now--the envelope, please--here's a response from Phyllis on what she did
to solve her problem. Thanks, one and all--

Liz Babcock
***********
To all those who willingly shared their knowledge and expertise regarding
Interleaf on the Vax conversion to Macintosh disks and/or Framemaker--Thank
you for your help.

We have completed trying all suggestions given by TECHWR-L people. The
answer to the problem (for those who may come across this in the future) is
purchasing the "Blueberry" Company filter. Every other avenue had its
"glitches" and/or incompatibilities. What is particularly difficult to
convert are drawings i.e., holding those delicate lines in place so that
hours are not wasted on "clean up." The Blueberry Company filter is
expensive however, considering this job is 18 volumes and contains an average
of 250 pages per volume and most of it drawings, it was the most
cost-effective method for us.

To answer some of the replies: Interleaf is not interested in helping you
convert to anything out of Interleaf. On the Vax it was impossible to save
in any other format, including ASCII, and stripping out the Interleaf coding.
(For Pam Tatge--stripfilt did not work in our case. Perhaps we missed
something, but it was tried more than once.) Framemaker is now the choice of
this particular program office to use for future documentation.

Thank you again all of you. The response was overwhelmingly quick,
informative, and very much appreciated.