Re: Tech writing, publicity in US

Subject: Re: Tech writing, publicity in US
From: Killer of Trees <lemay -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 08:57:55 -0700

> ...she ... asked what I did.

> "Software documentation," I proudly replied.

> "Oh, how boring!" she blurted out.

I hang out in a lot of coffee shops and nightclubs populated with the
twenty-something tattooed bicycle messenger/espresso clerk/sullen
postmodern artiste crowd.

Everyone once in a while I get in a conversation about "where I'm
working" (its never "what do you do...")

"I'm a technical writer," say I.

Blank look of puzzlement.

"You know when you buy a VCR," I explain, "you get a little book? I
write that little book. Only I do it for computer software."

Dubious look, as if to say "gee, that sounds really dull."

But my last comment seals it up: "I get paid a whole lot of money,
and I can dress any way I want to and I don't have to be at work by nine."

Big eyes. "Oh, cooooool."

Although thats been changing a lot recently. I was at a nightclub the
other night where there was a crowd of leather-clad purple-haired
individuals by the bar drinking heavily and having an enormously
heated conversation....about Unix.

Shudder. All the world's turning into nerds. Whats a real nerd supposed
to do?