Re: Dress any way I want to...

Subject: Re: Dress any way I want to...
From: Killer of Trees <lemay -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 11:12:31 -0700

LaVonna asks:
> To the person who said, "I can dress any way I want to, and
> I don't have be at work by nine," I ask this:

> Which of the following applies? You--
> a) contract from your home
> b) telecommute for your employer from your home
> c) have an extremely flexible employer when it
> comes to dress codes and work hours
> d) other

That was me. :)

I have worked almost exclusively for Silicon Valley startups, where
dress code and work hours are mostly irrelevant. Just do what you
have to do by the time you have to do it, and it doesn't matter if you
do it while standing on your head and fondling a alpaca.

I am unusual-looking by most "professional" standards (I have bright
crayon-red hair, a nose ring, and I wear black all the time). I
realize that by choosing to look the way I do I am limiting my job
opportunities to very open-minded, very young companies. Fortunately,
I have not yet had a problem finding work in this area. There are
LOTS of small startups with open minds out here. It helps, of course,
to have stunning references and an enormous confidence in one's
abilities; that can get you through a lot of interviews even if
you are a tad eccentric.

All that said, I am currently working at home on a trade computer
book, which is the ultimate in flexible hours and dress code. :) :)

Laura