Re: Asian English

Subject: Re: Asian English
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 17:50:10 -0700

>In Silicon Valley, there is almost no demand for technical writers who
>can read Japanese and write in English.

>So I'd like to know where these long backlogs are; I'd be happy to
>take some work off their hands, and I know two other writers in the
>same situation.

Perhaps things have changed, but when I was working for Hitachi America
about five years ago, we could never get timely design documents and plans
in english from our japanese counterparts. In order to do our jobs
competently, we had to work with documents written in japanese. Most of us
couldn't read japanese.

There was a small group of translators we could turn to. They were
freelancers, based in Silicon Valley. They had big backlogs and they charged
a lot. I did a quick search of my office for more information about them,
but I'm afraid it's burried too deep. ...RM

Richard Mateosian srm -at- c2 -dot- org srm -at- radiomail -dot- net (510)540-7745