Taking a leap

Subject: Taking a leap
From: Richard - Wyatt <rrw -at- SHELL -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 21:51:22 -0700

Hello all,

I'll keep this short, since it's my first post here and I'm not sure
of my note's destination.

I'm trying to make the jump from programming to tech writing, done a lot
of reading and talking to other writers, but I'm still unclear about how
to take the first active step. I've had several people tell me that
the best way is probably to do 'temp' work, but each agent I talk to wants
to know 'how many years' (et cetera) I've been tech writing. The answer
is, of course, zero. Though I've done a lot of writing in other
capacities, and I've done a fair amount of tech writing as part of my
work, I'm just trying to break in now.

For various reasons I can't go back to programming, (complete burnout being
the main one), so I really need to find that first job. So how do I
convince them (the agencies) that I'm serious, the clients that I capable,
and how to I customize a 17-year technical resume to say 'tech writer'?

Oops! Longer than I planned. Oh well, hope it gets through. Appreciate
any feedback. (Asbestos underwear in place.)

-Rick