Survey:Initial Contact ProfWriter-Client

Subject: Survey:Initial Contact ProfWriter-Client
From: Linda Fisher-Neenan <lfisher -at- MED -dot- UNC -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:45:40 GMT

I'm a technical/professional writing student looking for self-
employed technical and professional writers willing to answer the
questions listed below. I'm a former teacher taking my first
graduate class in nearly 20 years; I'm on my way to becoming a prof
writer myself. My first major assignment is a research article of
publishable quality and I'm nervous to say the least. I'm
investigating the nature of the professional writer's initial
contact with a potential client and I'm interested in anything you
care to tell me on the subject that I might not have asked!

Questions:
I. Consider your 15 most recent clients:
1. How many resulted from cold calls, soliciting new business?

2. How many resulted from advertisement? What kind of
advertisement?

3. How many resulted from previous business with that company?

4. How many resulted from referrals by satisfied customers?

5. How many resulted from contacts in your business or
professional network, for example from a previous career or
though friendships away from business?

6. How many resulted from new acquaintances, who brought
business to you after discovering your profession?

II. Consider your business in general:
7. Do you advertise? How? Would you evaluate the success of
advertising?

8. What do you consider the most successfull source of
business?

9. What do you consider the most successful source of new
business?

Please send electronic mail to malia -dot- msalan1 -at- mhs -dot- unc -dot- edu -dot-

Thank you very, very much. My paper is due Tuesday, September 27.
I'd really appreciate answers by this Thursday the 22nd. Again,
please feel free to tell me anything I haven't asked and if you'd
like information on what other writers are doing to find business,