Software Used for Documentation

Subject: Software Used for Documentation
From: Michael Salsbury <michael -dot- salsbury -at- CYBERLINK -dot- BEAVER -dot- PA -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 18:56:37 -0500

I work in the documentation department of a mainframe software
company in the Pittsburgh area. We produce a number of products
whose manuals exceed 400 pages, and are currently using Microsoft
Word 5.1 to create them. While Word handles these long documents
without much complaint, we'd like to move on to a more serious
documentation tool.

Our question is, quite simply: What is there?

If you are producing long technical documentation which includes
a Table of Contents, Glossary, List of Figures, Cross-References,
Index, etc., what hardware/software are you using?

How much manual effort is involved in creating the above?

Please email me directly with your response, and I will compile
the results and post them here.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

Email to: michael -dot- salsbury -at- cyberlink -dot- beaver -dot- pa -dot- us