About Contracting

Subject: About Contracting
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 05:48:00 UTC

>> Does this also include situations where the client approaches
>> the contractor and says "We are going to make this a permanent position,
>> and we're offering you the job if you're interested."

The contracting companies I've worked for will usually go along with this.
Sometimes the company will just say "Good luck" and let the contractor go on
to the new and permanent job. (My kind of company!) Sometimes the hiring
company must pay a kind of premium to compensate the contractor's company
for the loss of a good employee. If I was offered a permanent job with a
company, I would be totally honest with the company I contract with.

I've contracted off and on and am contracting now. It's really important to
sign on with a company who respects and values you as an employee. It's
important to sign on with a company who will make every attempt to find a
good job for you. With this sort of relationship, everyone benefits.

Some agencies are just collecting resumes and selling jobs. I don't work
for that sort. I don't pay an agency to find work for me.

A key to finding a good company is to look for one that wants to meet you in
person before sending you out on a job, and one who asks you before sending
out your resume. Honesty on both sides is important. When they are truly
concerned about making a good match for both employer and employee, they're
someone you want to work for.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com