What actually happened

Subject: What actually happened
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 08:09:19 CDT

Hi gang,
Sorry about the confusion last week. I was out of the
office and didn't catch it until it was very strange. I
think everything is normal now, so if you are still
having problems with your subscription, please let me
know.

FYI: We had an upgrade to the listserv software which
needed some tweaking to fit into our environment (to
point at a local Bitnet/Internet gateway, among other
things). The first upgrade was last Tuesday, but an
additional upgrade happened on Wednesday which went
untweaked until Saturday evening. On Sunday I
discovered that things were strange, and last night I
learned the full story. (Written primarily in passive
voice because I haven't the foggiest who the agent
might have been. Daemons, possibly. ;-) )

Re: Marilynne's question about the newcomer's message
(below). Send commands to LISTSERV -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
in the body of the message and do not include a
signature file.

Let me know if you still have problems or if you need
more information.
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

Subject: listserv
Author: m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com at SMTP
Date: 9/20/94 5:46 AM

Hi Eric

I hope you have been following the "What Happened?" thread on this list.
It's been a bit confusing.

1. Our mail quit coming from TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU and began
arriving from a BITNET address

2. Our mail decreased in volume drastically

3. If there was a message that things had changed, most of us
missed it.

I'm still not certain that I'm still on the list. I'll probably send a
SUBSCRIBE command in a day or two just to make sure.

I did get the message about the newcomers message. I'm still studying it to
try and understand it. I am assuming that you send a command in the subject
or file section of the message. Either that, or as the first line of the
message. Maybe you need to clarify in the message how people send commands.

Hope this was all a little flurry and not a problem. Please let me know (or
let the list know) since several of us are curious about what's going on.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com