Re: Opinions on instruction style

Subject: Re: Opinions on instruction style
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 08:58:41 CDT

Personally, I think that the "if you desire"
construction is remarkably insipid. If you *want* it,
say so. However, using "if you desire" in the context
of choosing something from a list beats the one I fight
periodically--"The _______ organization desires...."
This most often crops up in RFPs, but can be seen in
other places. I hate it! Anyone know where it came
from?

Right now, I desire a cup of coffee. Next, I will
probably desire breakfast too. Heck, maybe I'll start
getting messages stating that someone desires to join
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

Subject: Opinions on instruction style
Author: WandaJane Phillips <wandajp -at- andyne -dot- on -dot- ca> at SMTP
Date: 9/23/94 10:46 PM

I don't DESIRE any of the options I select during a session with a
software product. I don't DESIRE a particular font, or size, or data
source. I use them to produce a desired result, if you want to include,
if you NEED to include, desire in the whole process.

I had been writing "Choose the appropriate..." or "Choose a..." but in
reviewing some text recently I saw that all my phrases had been changed
to read "Choose the desired..."

Please help. Tell me to settle down, or tell me a better way, but tell
me....

again, thanks (I don't dare say tanks after the recent discussion
amongst the Americans online)

.. waja ...
opinions?! opinions?! we don't need no stinking opinions!
don't sit under the Bodhi tree with anyone else but me... anyone else
but me...