Re: Word

Subject: Re: Word
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 08:27:30 -0700

>When I had longer documents, I broke them into chapters

I have been complaining about Word's inability to string files together for
at least 6 years, and I keep hoping that someone will say "Oh, but that's in
the latest version." So far it hasn't happened.

As I understand it, you can't tell Word to print, index, or make a table of
contents for a series of files without manually determining the last page
number, n, of each file, then hardwiring n+1 as the starting page number of
the next one. Similarly, if each represents a chapter, you must assign the
chapter numbers manually.

The thing I find so frustrating is that I believe (remember?) that an early
version of Word for the Mac had this ability. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org