Re: validation/verification

Subject: Re: validation/verification
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- MAILHUB -dot- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 11:35:07 -0700

Hi Linda, I put a question out on TECHWR-L LISTSERV. I don't know which
answer you got back because I may have messed up in transmitting the

Here are some references FYI, hope this helps:

The Webster's NewWorld Dictionary of Computer Terms states that
validation is:

"in a program, the process of testing data to determine whether it
correctly
adheres to the designated criteria, such as whether it falls within the
prescribed limits, whether it is in the specified order, or the like."
at SI, we use the terms to refer to software builds. To verify
the build means to check if it all compiled, linked, produced an
executable image. To validate it means to check that what the executable
does is right, that is, that functions added didn't break existing
functions, that new modules work in the development build the same
way that they worked on a programmer's machine.

Similar measures happen for bug fixes -- that is verify that the bug
fix is in the production build, validate its function in that environment.
Hope this helps (or is even remotely associated with your question.)

------------
glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

JOHN -at- connect4 -dot- slc -dot- unisysgsg -dot- com

Validation is validating the text against the actual task or equipment.

Verification is the customer verifying that what you validated was correct
(checking your
corrected copy after validation).

We often run concurrent V&V with the customer present.

RalphMusco -at- aol -dot- com

In my experience, the following has been true (most of my 13 years experience
is in sell pubs to our Government or someone else's government):

Validation is performed by the contractor, with or without the buyer (i.e.,
Government) present, and is performed under supervision of the QA or QC
department. By the spec, the person(s) chosen to perform the actual
procedures, operation, etc., in the manual should not be familiar with the
product or item. During validation the writer and QA rep note all
deficiencies, then take corrective action. After validation comments are
incororated, a preliminary manual (or document) is delivered to the
Government for Verfication.

The Government, once again exercising heretofore unrevealed wisdom, "checks
your work" in the rite of Verification. Note that you, as a contractor,
probably will not be asked to attend this sacred ritual. The Government will
then generate a new set of comments, which most likely contradict the
comments they made at Validation. You may then proceed to generate final
reproducibles, and, hopefully, printed documents.
Ted Steffens <steffens -at- pubs04 -dot- si -dot- com>

Validation is the process by by which contractor personnel test a technical
publication
for technical accuracy at the contractor`s facility.

Verfication is the process by which a technical publication is tested and
proven by
DOD personnel for adequacy of operation and maintenance of systems/equipment
acquired
for operational units. It is also for certifying that publications are
technically accurate
and compatible with the hardware and operating enviroment.

Your can read more about this in an Air Force publication T.O. 00-5-1 and
military specification
MIL-M-38784.

Basically, a validation is when we check our procedures and the
government may
or may not
watch over our shoulder. A verfication is when they do it and we watch.