Re: Fowler

Subject: Re: Fowler
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 09:48:11 -0500

I posted the following to the copy editing list; some of you all may also
find it useful.

> > note that J. Arthur Greenwood has written _Find it in Fowler: An Alphabetic
> > Index to the Second Edition_f

AUTHOR: Greenwood, Joseph Arthur, 1927-
TITLE: Find it in Fowler; an alphabetical index to the second edition (1965)
of H. W. Fowlers Modern English usage, arranged for casual
consultation or ready reference.
IMPRINT: Princeton, N.J., Wolfhart Book Co., 1969.
PHYSICAL FEATURES: xiii, 114 p.
OTHER AUTHORS, ETC: Fowler, Henry Watson, 1858-1933. Dictionary of modern
English usage.
SUBJECTS: English language -- Usage -- Dictionaries.

None of the sources I have available at the moment lists an ISBN for the
title. I got the above from U of H's library.

> > James Harner's _Literary Research Guide_ lists about a gazillion other
> > sources for English usage (among other topics)

MLA, New York, 1989 (with a new version due out soon, I think)
ISBN 0-87352-182-X
0-87352-183-8 (paper back)

While I was in graduate school, I pretty much started every bit of research
by consulting Harner (praise to the almighty H!). It is the single best
source for researching any topic related to writing. If you are looking for
a dictionary, you'll find reviews of the major dictionaries, plus sources
which evaluate linguistic dictionaries, literary dictionaries, Canadian
dictionaries, Austrailian dictionaries, slang dictionaries, and a source
for evaluative descriptions of dictionaries and style guides for each field.

This isn't a general reference -- it is geared to literary research, so
much of the book is spent showing sources for Middle English, Shakespeare,
Romantics, poetry, union catalogs, periodicals, etc. But many of the
sources lend themselve to general use.

You may also try Eugene Sheehy's _Guide to Reference Books_ which is much
more general but doesn't have evaulative or comparitive reviews. Every
library should have a copy of this one; reference librarians tend to
need it rather often for dealing with obscure topics.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?