Re: Science style manuals

Subject: Re: Science style manuals
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 13:48:25 -0500

> I got such great response to my "Fowler?" question, I thought I
> throw this out for the group: Can someone recommend a good style
> manual that focuses on science? As part of an academic medical
> center, our office produces a semiannual research magazine and a
> monthly newsletter for campus researchers.

Before you pick one, check out John Bruce Howell's _Style Manuals
of the English-Speaking World: A Guide_ (Phoenix: Oryx, 1983, 183pp).
Just about every profession has a style guide which covers things
peculiar to the topic. The American Chemical Engineering Society (I
forget if that is their real name) has one specific for their own
branch of engineering. There has to be one specific to the medical
profession, probably several. Used in conjunction with a general
style guide, a good dictionary or three, and a large list of copy
editors, you should have a good solution to vexing problems.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?