Is phonetic spelling leading us astray?

Subject: Is phonetic spelling leading us astray?
From: Gary Mason <gmason -at- JMJM -dot- HQ -dot- ILEAF -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 07:01:29 EDT

I have been seeing a huge increase in the misspelling of the word
"lose" in recent times. I would estimate that about one in three these
days is in error. Since it is being spelled with an extra "o", I wonder
if the root of the problem is based in the teaching of phonetic
spelling. Any ideas from the readership? I am a bit dismayed at the
trend toward the misspelling of four letter words. Prepositions and
articles are next! 8'}

--
* Gary Mason - Senior Sales Consultant - Interleaf, Inc. - Corporate Sales *
* Voice:617/290-4990 X2100 FAX:617/290-4981,4985 Internet:gmason -at- ileaf -dot- com *