Using the word "shall"

Subject: Using the word "shall"
From: Micheal Uhl <MU17692 -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 08:46:00 EDT

I agree with Kathryn E. Leventhal-Arnold. "Shall" is an important
word in the English language and should be used where appropriate.

I recently used "shall" in a contract document. We used it as
the second person imperative: "The CRO shall provide..."

Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc. Research Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC