graduate degrees?

Subject: graduate degrees?
From: "Helena F. Jerney" <helena -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 18:58:58 GMT

I really don't think you *need* a graduate degree to be able to work in
this industry. There are many of us in the field who hold degrees,
including graduate degrees, on subjects other that English or Tech Writing
and have been able to do just fine. I expect that as the profession
becomes more accepted as an academic endevour (when there are more
programs in more places), the market might be more demanding in terms
of the type of degree you need in order to become a Tech Writer.
However, since it hasn't been until the past few years that
Tech Writing programs have become more prevalent in the academic
environment, the requirements of specializing as a Tech Writer at
that time are not as stringent as one would imagine.

Good luck!

Helena