Quantifying Documentation

Subject: Quantifying Documentation
From: Rick Lippincott <RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 05:40:42 -0400

Judy Glick-Smith asked:

>Has anyone gone through the effort of quantifying how effective
>documentation has saved their company money or generated revenue?

Almost all (if -not- all) government or DOD contractors should be able to
provide examples of that data. Although I can't speak for all government
agencies, I know DOD contracts often require the tech manuals as a separate
line item. As a result, the contractors know exactly how much they made
from tech pubs each year. (As a matter of fact, the figures are tracked in
enough detail that they are able to provide accurate estimates of the cost
per -page- of each tech manual.)

If done right, tech pubs can be a -very- profitable part of the company.

Rick Lippincott
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com