Re: resume length

Subject: Re: resume length
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 22:30:55 -0600

I liked your response (below). As a woman who spent the majority of my
life raising a family rather than working out in the business world, I
gained most of my skills in volunteer work in the community. There I
gained tremendous experience in working with people, managing situations,
planning and managing time, even in writing. I don't consider those
years or skills wasted. They molded me into the person I am today--and
provided the foundation for my current studies. I intend to list the
more important of those activities because they speak to skills that add
dimension to the academic program I am currently pursuing. If that means
that my resume runs over into 2 pages, so be it.

> Be comfortable
and confident with the content of your
resume. It's YOUR > resume. It should reflect how you want to be viewed.

> At my first Tech Writing job interview, I was asked about my previous job as
> a youth supervisor for a summer jobs program. I put it on my resume because
> I didn't have any Tech Writing job experience then, and I thought the job
> taught me good skills, even if they could be seen as unrelated to tech
> writing. It turns out that the interviewer grew up in a poor part of town
> and had worked for a similar summer program as a kid. I got the job.

> So go ahead and mention your violin if you want.

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Mirrors should reflect a *
* little before throwing *
* back images. *
* -Jean Cocteau- *