Job Offers

Subject: Job Offers
From: Rick Lippincott <RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 07:00:56 -0400

About burning bridges, or rather not doing so. I cannot overstate the
importance of not burning bridges. Not only does it prevent retreat, but it
also prevents reinforcements from reaching you.

TRMOAS ("That Reminds Me Of A Story"). Several years ago I was working for
an aerospace company, hired as a result of an Air Force contract. As the
delivery date for the last airplane approached, there were massive layoffs.
I was sent out-of-state on a project, when I returned three months later I
discovered the work assignments had been readjusted in my absence. Ooops,
they forgot to leave any job position for me. ("Nice trip report. Now get
out.") Needless to say, I was very bitter about this. I decided to hold my
tongue, play nice, and not burn bridges.

As a result of that decision, the manager was at least open to the idea of
helping me find a position in another division. I did, and lasted out
about a year. Needless to say, I was actively job hunting the entire time.
Finally, an offer came through. It was at a company 1200 miles away, but I
was willing to relocate. So, I gave my notice to the manager I worked for
at the time, played nice again, and packed up my desk.

On the way out the door, with my personal belongings in a box, I bumped into
the tech writing manager. He sees the box. "Are you leaving?" he said.
"Yes, I got a job offer at a new company. I was planning to come over your
way to say good-byes this afternoon."

My ex-manager smiled, told me the name of the manager I'd be working for at
the next job, and said "I've known him for years. He called me to ask about
you. Good luck at the new position."

Never burn your bridges behind you.

Rick Lippincott
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com