SFBay area writing classes

Subject: SFBay area writing classes
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- INFORMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 08:56:03 -0700

[Faith Weber asked: "Does anyone know of any decent beginning tech
writing classes being offered in the San Francisco Bay area?"]

Hi Faith! (and TECHWR-L)--

University of California, Santa Cruz, has extension classes in Santa
Clara, at Highway 101 & Trimble. (They are opening a new facility in
Sunnyvale somewhere, because the space is limited at the first site.)

They have a certificate program in "Managing the Development of
Technical Information," headed by Shirley Krestas. While many of these
classes are for more senior writers, some are for beginners.

STC members are elligible for a 10% discount.

Classes this quarter include(d):
Defining and Achieving Quality Publications,
Managing People in Publications,
Developing a Document Plan,
ISO 9000 for Technical Publications,
Accounting for the Nonfinancial Manager,
Using FrameMaker in a Publications Environment,
FrameMaker Advanced Topics: Graphics and Layouts,
FrameMaker Advanced Topics: Tables and Conditional Text,
FrameMaker Advanced Topics: AutoFeatures and Indexing,
How to Develop a Corporate Style Guide,
Facilitating Self-Managed Technical Writing Teams,
Modular Documentation,
Technical Writer's Annual Physical,
Improved Editing Skills,
Advanced Editing,
Developing Quality Metrics for Publications,
Practical Qualitative Analysis and Evaluation Techniques,
Managing Electronic Information:
From Plain Text to Digital Video,
Information Architecture: A Results-Oriented
Approach to Technical Information Products.

UCSC has a Worldwide Web server at
http://www.ucsc.edu/unex

The main UCSC extension phone number is
within California: 1-800-660-UNEX (660-8639)
outside California 1-408-427-6600

--Guy K. Haas, Sr. Tech Writer RTFM? ghaas -at- informix -dot- com
Informix Software Inc IWTFT! [If I were speaking on behalf of
4100 Bohannon Dr. ^ Informix, I'd say so explicitly.]
Menlo Park, CA 94025

My mail node has been flakey--if mail bounces, please resend!