Re: Documentation Department Metrics

Subject: Re: Documentation Department Metrics
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 09:08:51 -0600

On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Paul MacGyver Carman wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track the progress
> of a doc. department other than the "how many pages did you put out"
> method?

One approach we use is related to inventory control methods--the
company I've been writing for keeps a running list of documents produced
and sent to customers. (It is a small company and manuals are copied and
sent on an as needed basis.) We also maintain project management
checklists which clearly show what we are doing and what has been
completed for each project we are involved with. The bookkeeping is
actually minimal as long as we maintain it regularly. By clearly showing
the nature of each step in the process--and our progress through those
steps, we have documented the nature of our work in a form that others can
more readily understand.

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Results! Why, man, I have gotten *
* a lot of results. I know several *
* thousand things that won't work. *
* Thomas A. Edison *