Clause numbers in running heads

Subject: Clause numbers in running heads
From: Howard Kaikow <kaikow -at- STANDARDS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 02:45:27 GMT

Suppose you have a book with numbered clauses, e.g.:

1 Animals
1.1 Woodchuck
1.1.1 How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck knew C or C++?

And you wish to have clause numbers in the running head.

The Univ. Of Chicago Style Manual indicates that when there is more than one
subhead on a page, the rule is as follows:

recto page: Use last subhead on the page.
verso page: Use first subhead on the page.

I did not research, nor note, any rule for the situation where text from a
clause continues from a recto page to a verso page and the verso page has
one or more numbered clauses. Does the running head have the first clause
number on the page or the number of the clause continued from the previous
page?

I have noticed inconsistent use of these rules, even by a single publisher.

Case 1:

I recently purchased 4 books on the same topic from a particular publisher.
The clause number is in the running head only on the recto pages in all 4
books, however, 3 use the first clause number, the 4th uses the last clause
number.

Case 2:

K&R C (2nd edition) has the clause number in the running head only on the
recto pages. In this case, the last clause number on the page is used.

Case 3:

Schildt's Annotated C uses the recto pages for comments on the C standard.
The verso pages have the standard. All pages have the last clause number on
the page in the running head.

Each Case is from a different publisher.

What is the prevailing industry practice?

It appears that only 1 of these sets of rules can be easily implemented in
Word for Windows, i.e., always use the last clause number on a page.

Note (and remember this for any postings I might ever make on implementation
details) that I am always talking about using a model in which symbolic
references are used for numbering.