Re: Servers vs. local

Subject: Re: Servers vs. local
From: Tracey Showalter <tshowalt -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 13:51:38 -0500

Arlen asked whether people worked on the server or on the local hard drive.

a) Do you work on the server? Never.

b) What do you see as the *best point* in favor of the way you're doing it?

Speed.

In our network configuration (AppleShare/Ethernet, plus PCs running on
Novell), there are a number of problems associated with working on a server.
The primary reason is that the higher the network traffic, the slower the
network speed. So if we have 8 writers working in files on a server, we have
8 slowly working writers. If we have 8 writers working on a local hard drive,
we have 8 rapidly (grin) working writers.

Network Crashes.

Our networks and servers do indulge themselves in the occasional crash. A few
years ago, one of our writers (who has since left) often worked off the
server. She also seldom saved her work. She also often lost an entire day's
work when the network crashed.

Although we have no standard procedure for backing up, most of us back up to
the server on a daily basis. A few of us back up to the server and to
floppies.

Tracey Showalter
tshowalt -at- sctcorp -dot- com