Re: Clogging the Net

Subject: Re: Clogging the Net
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 18:44:43 -0800

Ray Bruman x2325 said:
> Oh, and next time there's an earthquake, plane crash, etc...
> everyone -- PLEASE don't breathlessly, thoughtlessly post, OK?
> And point out this pitfall to your friends who have new accounts.

Who appointed you net.arbiter? And what makes you think that this is a
"newbie mistake"? Although I happened to watch the news last night, so
I knew this particular bit of news already, I don't always watch the
news, and I appreciated the followup. And I've been on the net since
1981, so I'm hardly a newbie.

If we are going to be critical of other posters, let's be critical of
the Craig Shergold posters or the original poster of the search for
the children. (I could see it on a local BBS, but don't find it
relevant to an international list.) I thought Arlen's post provided
some closure to the situation for people who hadn't heard the news.

I moved from Los Angeles two days before the earthquake in January. I
had my computer set up, but no TV or radio, so the only way I was able
to hear news of it was via the net. The net is a valuable resource in
times of trouble. But I agree that TECHWR-L is not the place to post
notices of those disasters.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com