Editing conference papers...

Subject: Editing conference papers...
From: Margaret Redding <ab555 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 02:32:07 GMT

I am mystified by some instructions I have received on preparing papers to
be printed in conference proceedings.

The original papers were to be up to 15 pages long, with a 500 word
abstract. The final instructions are for the papers that were accepted
should be submitted in "camera ready" form, and I received a template
showing margins and instructions on point size etc.

The original instructions were "papers must be double spaced and limited
to 5000 words...including illustrations should not be more than 15
pages--which will allow space for illustrations while keeping within the
limit of 5 pages in the final conference proceedings.The abstract should
be no longer than 200 words".

Now, I have formatted one paper using the template they sent, and found
that the 4000 words of text occupied 6 pages, and this did not allow for
any illustrations, of which there are about 7 pages.

Do I take it that the authors have to reduce their paper by half to
condense it into the conference proceedings, or is there something I don't
understand? And how will 15 pages squeeze into 5 pages, with "space for
illustrations"?

I can't believe that the conference organizers don't know what they are
talking about. Does it mean the authors have to cut their papers in half
to meet the guidelines?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Margaret Redding
--
Margaret Redding ab555 -at- freenet -dot- carleton -dot- ca
Ottawa, Ontario