Re: "Come with," "I want to go with," and so on.

Subject: Re: "Come with," "I want to go with," and so on.
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 13:08:59 EST

Without getting into a long debate about what constitutes "proper
English" or who ordains it, I would note that "Come on, think" as
an admonishment is irritating, as it implies that the rest of us
haven't been. Spoken English is always a lot looser than written
English, and it behooves us to be aware of the differences. (I
could spend time worrying about usages like "try and do something"
and "I've got" (instead of "I have"), but I don't. I'll edit them
out in print, but I don't worry if I hear someone say them, even though
technically try should take an infinitive and it's arguably wrong to
use a perfect form (I have got) for a present tense meaning.)

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY