Re: spoken & written usage

Subject: Re: spoken & written usage
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 13:46:56 -0600

In one of my Educational Psychology classes (required for a Teaching
Certificate), we were taught that a child's language pattern is set by the
age of three and that it is, therefore, extremely important to speak
properly to young children (no babytalk, either). So, if people do want to
use poor grammar in their spoken conversations, I hope that they won't do
so around youngsters.

Just as bad writing detracts from understanding written communication, poor
speech patterns detract from understanding oral communication. When I hear
something that doesn't sound right, I stumble over it and then have to
catch up with what the speaker is trying to say.