Re[2]: spoken & written usage

Subject: Re[2]: spoken & written usage
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 15:38:06 -0600

The following message is in MIME format, which your mail reader
may not fully understand. Parts of the message will appear as
text. To process the remainder, you may need special software
to decode Base64, Quoted Printable, or UUENCODE message parts.
If your installation provides a MIME compatible Internet gateway,
you may find that the items associated with this message have been
converted to attachments of the base message. Contact your Email
administrator if you require further assistance.

--IMA.Boundary.784589989

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:15:58 -0500 (EST)
From: MKEENE -at- UTKVX -dot- UTCC -dot- UTK -dot- EDU
Subject: Re: spoken & written usage
Sender: MKEENE -at- utkvx -dot- utk -dot- edu
To: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L%OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET -at- utkvm1 -dot- utk -dot- edu>

--IMA.Boundary.784589989

are you sure you got it right?

Yes, I'm sure that that is what our professor and textbooks said.
There were also films and visits to the campus Child Development
Laboratories.

No, I can't be sure that they were right.

Author: MKEENE -at- UTKVX -dot- UTCC -dot- UTK -dot- EDU at SMTP

This sounds like an early (and wrong) version of the "critical age
hypothesis for language acquisition"--are you sure you got it right? I
used to read and write about this, and I don't remember _anyone_ taking
that strong a stand. That is, in most cultures this "helper speech" (aka
babytalk) phenomenon occurs, and however "set" our language ability is by
the time people stop doing it around us, we seem to recover pretty well.
What you've got here is the strongest imaginable version of a
hypothesis which even in its weak versions is at least questionable.
Maybe someone else out there knows the right of this?

Mike Keene
mkeene -at- utkvx -dot- utk -dot- edu

--IMA.Boundary.784589989--