mom

Subject: mom
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 08:11:53 -0800

Thank you, Karen. Growing out of teenage speech is the salient point.

Let me throw this one Out There: do adults in all regions of the
country call their mothers "Mom?"

A generation ago I came to California, went to work in a junior high
school, noticed that the teachers and counselors refered to the
students' "Moms." I thought nothing of it other than the students were
in transition from easy childhood words to the adult "Mother." (I
called my mother "Mom," but refered to her as "Mother.") As I settled
into the community, I realized that everybody refered to their, and
others', mothers as "Mom." "My Mom is coming to visit." "Is your Mom
still with NASA?" At first I thought it was habit, born of being with
their own children. Finally, I concluded that it was a California-ism,
somewhat like the Southern custom of adults refering to their fathers
as "Daddy."

What do you think?

QMS Account said:
> About 20 years ago, I noticed that some teen agers were using
> "goes" or "go" instead of "said." For example, "I go ......" or
> he goes....." Now, almost everyone 35 or under never uses the word
> "said" in speech. Is this only in California or all over the country?

I don't know. I'm 43 and I grew up saying it. (I grew out of it,
too.:) ) I thought ever teenager said it.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com