sie/hir

Subject: sie/hir
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 09:53:55 EST

On Sun, 20 Nov 1994, Paul Moloney wrote:

> Michael LaTorra <mikel -at- huey -dot- accugraph -dot- com> writes:

> >Yuck. That's in the same category as "herstory" for
> >"history" and "ovular" for "seminar".

> You're kidding. *pause* You're not, are you?

Since I had never seen the spurious word "ovular," I looked "seminar" up
to discover the connection. Seminar comes from the word for seedpod,
seed, etc., which is also the root for "semen." So "ovular" isn't so far
off the mark.

As technical writers, we need to be aware of language changes. Also, we
are in a position both to help defend the language against changes that
serve no purpose and make no sense and to facilitate helpful language
changes. I really think that the degree of sexism inherent in "seminar"
is so minuscule as almost to be non-existent. So let's stomp "ovular" out
wherever we see it.

Anyway, thank you, Michael LaTorra, for exposing me (and who knows how
many others) to "ovular."

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *