Icons for Cautions, Warni

Subject: Icons for Cautions, Warni
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:12:00 -0500

CD>For cautions we use an exclamation point inside an inverted
CD>triangle.

I use a regular triangle, plus the word CAUTION or WARNING, for both
cautions and warnings, if my client doesn't specify what they want to
use.

CD>For warnings we use a lightning bolt inside a triangle.

I only use this for electrical shock warnings.

CD>Some of the compliance engineers say there is no recognized symbol
CD>for cautions
CD>and that we are misusing the warning symbol by inverting the
CD>triangle.

ANSI 535 details warnings and cautions; I've heard that there is a kit
of fonts and symbols available that comply to this standard. If anyone
has more specific information about this or the ISO standard, I'd like
to know about it.

I believe most companies set up their own standards, so ANSI is not the
single, accepted standard (in particular, the government standards are
different than the ANSI standards). Has anyone found that a particular
standard is more acceptable than others?

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
~ CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 ~ I have no data to hinder my conclusions.

PC-Ohio PCBoard PO Box 21411
The Best BBS in America South Euclid OH 44121
DATA: 216-381-3320 pcohio.com FAX: 216-291-2685