Re: using "chair"

Subject: Re: using "chair"
From: Dianne Driskell <ddriskel -at- CS -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:49:29 -0600

As a writer/editor in an academic institution I deal with this issue all the
time. I personally don't like the word chair (it always reminds me of a piece
of furniture). When developing recruiting brochures/flyers, I have used the
word, coordinator, when the faculty will let me. Otherwise I use chair.

I have used chairwoman and chairman if both are used in the same document -
hopefully, showing that, indeed, the department is sensitive
to this kind of issue.

Dianne Driskell
Department of Computer Sciences
Taylor Hall, Room 2.124