Re: Re[2]: Tech Writing Future & Pen-based computing

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Tech Writing Future & Pen-based computing
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 16:06:42 GMT

-> Our engineers *love* the pen-based computers! (This is the
-> project where the lead developer asked for a *male* tech

In the field, I can certainly see their usefulness -- for filling in
forms, scanning inventory or doing sketches without having to lug
around a keyboard and mouse.

The whole idea because ludicrous, however, when some corp.exec type
wants to sit in his office and use a pen computer to write memos in
longhand. I suppose we could develop technology to do that in time, and
with sufficient investment of funds, but why bother?

Handwriting recognition is a tough enough task for humans -- just
ask anyone here in the office who has to read *my* handwriting. Why
inflict it on a computer when there are already easy, proven ways to
get the maximum amount of data into them in the minimum amount of time?